17/01/2013

Peafowl Couple

It's done!!!
It took me many hours of works, but I'm happy with the result! <3

 "Oh, take a glimpse... There goes young 
Mrs. Pea and that garish husband of hers...!"

"It's most surprising a fine, seemly girl like her would 
be charmed by such flamboyant gentleman..."

"Gentleman? That I seriously doubt!"

Mrs. Pea always overheard that sort of convesation from the old crow ladies of the town... She didn't mind it, thou. Was her beloved eventually going to break her heart? ...Or, just as she deeply knew, behind those extravagant manners there was a much greater heart that others would imagine?

 
 ...Haha, making up that little "regency-romance" backstory was as fun as drawing this! <3 I blame listening to BBC's "Emma" and "Pride & Prejudice" OSTs nonstop during the whole process of painting this piece... Fun times, for sure. And such a lovely time period, fashion-wise! ;)


 So, the concept appeared after I saw number of peafowl-inspired artwork and tought to myself - those fancy dresses are surely beautiful, but... they're all inspired by peacocks! And beign a dress a lady's outfit... shouldn't it have a peahen's look? Subtle and brown-ish? Peafowl-wise, the jewel-shiny blue/green would be technically just for the boys!

Yes, I know it's a picky idea - but it kinda sounded interesting! 
So, voilá! A "gender-correct" rendition of a peafowl couple! 


From the beginning, I had a little trouble finding an historical period were the male outfits were naturally more gaudy than female... and finally, Regency seemed to fit quite nicely! ^^



By the way, from lineart to colors, Mr. Pea took me about 3 times longer to finish than Mrs. Pea, which I guess proves the drawing to be fitting to the theme I wanted. lol


This was supposed to have a background, but... eh. These two looked so cute they asked for a simple background, to make them more visible (specially Mr. Pea ;D). Playing with shading different materials was surely fun (velvet, satin, leather, brass, gold brocade, lapidated gems...) and I finally seem to have made peace with hair shading! (yay! Look as Mrs. Pea lovely, non-boring curls! <3).


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário